A detox can help you feel refreshed, boost your energy, and reset your body as the summer months are upon us. And, luckily, detoxing at home can take many different forms. Here are some easy ways you can remove toxins from your body at home.
Switch up Your Diet
Detox diets have been used in Native American, Indian, and even ancient Roman culture. But, today, we’re exposed to so many more toxins than our ancestors. There are toxins in food, air pollution, water, household cleansers, and cosmetic products.
A detox diet is a great way to reset your body and support your health. There are many detox diets out there. Try one of these three types of food-based cleanses:
- An elimination diet: figure out what your body is sensitive to, and what may be dragging down your energy. This diet can help identify common food sensitivities. “Experiment with taking the top common food sensitivities out of your diet for 21 to 30 days and then systematically add them back in. The foods that are eliminated include gluten, dairy, corn, soy, sugar, eggs, and/or alcohol,” explains one expert.
- A sugar detox: we’ve all reached for that cookie or slice of cake when we’re feeling stressed. A sugar detox is a great idea for anyone struggling with inflammation or low energy. Eliminate all “high glycemic carbohydrates” (read: bread and cookies) as well as fruit that’s high in sugar, artificial sweeteners, and even natural sweeteners like agave.
- A whole foods cleanse: this detox diet is intense, but it will leave you feeling sharper than ever! Eliminate all processed foods and stick to fresh, home-cooked meals. Focus on vegetables, fruit, whole grains, all that good stuff. Most experts recommend adding in cleansing ingredients: water with fresh lemon juice, bitter greens, ginger, and turmeric.
These are just a few examples, there are tons of detox diet options out there. Check out GOOP’s 5-Day Detox Meal Plan For January 2020 & Beyond, for instance.
Try a Digital Detox
A digital detox is one where you step away from those addictive digital devices: smartphones, televisions, computers, tablets, and social media sites. It’s a good way to focus on real-life, social interactions and cutting down on distractions. Research shows that the average American adult spends around 11 hours each day listening to, watching, reading, or interacting with media. How crazy is that?!
There are many health benefits to doing a digital detox: better sleep, better productivity, and healthier eating habits, just to name a few. If the thought of stepping away from social media and texting fills you with anxiety, try doing it for just an hour a day. You can build up to two hours or go a full weekend only using your phone for emergencies.
Do a Specific Cleanse
A cleanse is a great way to kick up your motivation and tap into your drive. “Maybe the best thing that can be said about cleanses is they’re a good psychological tool for helping to cut back or eliminate unhealthy components of your diet, like sugar or alcohol,” said Everyday Health. With spring winding down, now is a great time to prove to yourself how strong you are in body and willpower.
These cleanses are a great way to reset for the summer:
- Liquid cleanses: also known as a juice cleanse, try limiting your meals to only the extract squeezed from fruits and vegetables.
- Liver cleanses: build your body’s defense against harmful substances with a cleanse for your liver and kidneys! Add apple cider vinegar, green tea, and lemon water into your regular diet.
- Colon cleanses: clean out your digestive tract and promote a healthy gut by adding a probiotic like kefir to your diet.
Consult a professional before you take on any cleanse that could negatively impact your health.
Try a Mental Detox
Meditation and breath work are shown to have detoxifying effects. Apps like Headspace and Calm are beloved by users who say just adding 10 minutes of meditation a day helps them feel less anxious, stressed, and depressed.
Meditation experts also recommend trying a “feelings cleanse.” The occasional emotional decluttering can have an effect on your mind and body.
“Think of your mind as you would your kitchen drawers. There’s your junk drawer. It’s irritatingly hectic in there. It’s hard to even shut with so many miscellaneous items accumulating. How much easier is it to cook and clean and get around when all the measuring spoons and spatulas are in their rightful place?” explains GOOP Wellness
Use HigherDOSE Infrared Sauna Blanket
The HigherDOSE Infrared Sauna Blanket is the perfect way to get your blood flowing and get glowing. The Blanket increases the body’s thermal energy and promotes a temporary increase in blood flow. You’ll sweat like you’re doing some hard cardio – without all the heavy breathing.
Relax in the soothing, yet stimulating heat and let the infrared take over. You’ll feel rejuvenated and calmer as a result of this heat-based cleanse. Infrared light detoxes you seven times more than traditional sweating and pulls deeply-stored toxins from your fat cells. It's the most effective detoxify tool out there, as it pulls heavy metals, environmental pollutants, and chemicals that are otherwise trapped and hard to get out from your standard detoxes.
Bonus: the blankets leave you with a healthy glow and soothe sore muscles and joints. You’ll feel like a whole new person. It’s basically like having an in-home spa.